Advantages of drone surveys
The use of drones in airborne surveys has many advanges compared to conventional surface research or airborne surveys using manned helicopters or airplanes:
- Risk reduction - Every year 230.000 work accidents take place in the Netherlands, half of which are related to hights and the risk of falling. Medical costs and costs for absence from work amount to hundreds of millions a year. The use of drones for specific monitoring and inspection tasks now performed by people can significantly reduce these risks.
- No need to shut down plants - During inspections, installations in most cases need to be shut down temporarily, involving high costs due to loss of productivity. Using drones capable of inspecting functioning installations in a short time span makes the shut-down superfluous.
- Better overview - Flying at low hights, dronesare capable to create a very sharp image and a clear overview which can be used to actively monitor and inspect activities, installations, infrastructure and buildings on the surface.
- Survey of inaccessible locations - A drone can fly where people or vehicles have no access, for example over swamps, densely forrested areas and locations of suspected UXO. Drones make these areas accessible for airborne surveys.
- Improved data density - Compared to manned helicopters and planes drones can get much closer to the survey goal, resulting in improved data density and quality of the survey.
- Faster data acquisition - Drones can perform surveys or inspections on the surface or in the air in a much shorter time span. Because less people and equipment are involved, in most cases the necessary security measures can also be reduced significantly.
- Higher data resolution - Compared to manned helicopters and planes drones can fly much closer to the surface, improving the data resolution and therefore the quality of the survey.
- Lower costs - Drone research is often cheaper because installations don't need to be shut down, inaccessible areas become accessible, data aquisition is faster and the necessary workforce and equipment in the field are reduced.